Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Science Fiction Horror #8


I had an art show at the Belmont in Hamtramck back in November, the theme of which was comic covers of the Silver Age of comics. I tried to duplicate the style of the era but really bit off more than I could chew. Not only was I trying to advance my pencilling and inking skills, but I was also teaching myself to letter by hand. I did eleven covers in all, and I have to say that quality was sacrificed to meet the deadline of the opening.
So now I am going back and redoing the covers and applying what I've learned since then. Here is an example cover from November:


For starters, the inking is terrible, the perspective is wonky. I like the woman though and the premise is good. So I gave it another shot, this time I saved the lettering for Adobe Illustrator:

Pretty good, I think, but the man's face didn't come out right. Whenever I'm inking, I sometimes tend to get carried away, adding embellishments that don't really add much besides clutter. So fooled with it in Photoshop and added the letters in Illustrator. I'm very happy with the end result:


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home